Bundle up and Save
Does your inked line work look more like a bent clothes hanger than something actually drawn with a pen? Does your digital coloured work have a pixelated white halo around it that's driving you insane? No problem! In this advanced course, prepare to master the technical side of inking and colouring your work to avoid the kind of embarrassment that only working at a 72 DPI CMYK GIF flattened master file could bring! ...Don't know what that means? Don't worry, you will soon!
- Award Winning Proprietary Online Campus
- Studio Setting (20% Theory, 80% Practice)
- Weekly Live Sessions (Synchronous)
- Access 24/7 to Online Campus (Asynchronous 24 hrs, 7 days a week)
- 15:1 Student Ratio
- 1:1 Personalized Critiques
Class Times, Assignments & Workload
- Classes are delivered Online
- 2 Weekly Live Classes
- Students will be asked for 3 time preferences in the application form
- Weekly Assignments
- Assignments Workload: 15 - 25 hours per week
- Weekly 1 on 1 personalized critiques
- Total hours of instruction: 7 hours
- Total hours of assignments: 60 - 100 hours
- Week 1: INK! Traditional & Digital Inking Technique!
- Week 2: DIGITAL! Things You Really Should Know About Software, Formats and Tools or They'll Come Back to Haunt You!
- Week 3: COLOUR! Exactly what it sounds like!
- Week 4: EFFECTS! Finishing touches to add that little extra magic to your work!
Please note that in order to pass the course, all assignments have to be successfully completed and submitted on time. Students intending to transfer to diploma programs must obtain a minimum grade of B- (76%).
Who should attend this class?
This course branch focuses on advanced inking and colouring technique, designed to root out the most common pitfalls among even professional artists today! Learn about vector versus raster artwork, cell shading and full shading, optimal image formats, and the different software just within reach, waiting for you to discover! Recommended for technical minded artists and graphic designers with a knack for pushing their tools and software to the limits!
Prior drawing experience or having previously attended the “Anime & Manga: Getting Started!” course is recommended to hit the ground running in this advanced course!
Recommended for anime, manga and gaming enthusiasts who wish to further develop their skills after the original Anime & Manga Illustration course.
Ideally either Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI or Manga Studio. Temporary 1-Month trial versions of the software will also be sufficient for the duration of the course should the student have access to them.
Students will graduate from this class with an An advanced understanding of how to colour and ink their anime and manga work for professional quality and an efficient workflow.
This is a short duration course and does not lead to a job.
Credits of this course can be used towards our Diploma Programs within six months of completion.
A Vancouver Animation School Certificate is a short term duration in a specialized training program. We are a studio and student centric school (20% theory 80% hands on). Students will graduate with a Certificate credential.
A freelance illustrator and graphic designer with over a decade of experience, Merritt “Zephos” Wong has become a professional Anime and Manga artist, a prominent figure in the Vancouver manga and anime having sold his own original creations both online and at numerous local conventions such as Anime Revolution and MiniComi. With his passion in uncovering the science behind the style of Kawaii and by proxy the complete reverse of it, Zephos’ artistic insight is sure to jump-start the juices of any budding anime and manga artist!
Live Sample Class