Welcome to the exciting world of Concept Art. In this Concept Art course you will learn why concept artists play such an important role in the Animation, Visual Effects and Video Game Industries. Their mission is to inspire, to generate ideas, to make people believe. Concept artists are at the starting point of the studio pipeline, they are planning and designing the next blockbuster movie or what could be the best selling game. You'll get to know the keys of a successful conceptual artist and what constitutes a successful concept art portfolio. This inspiring course is part of our concept art online school that brings the concept art in all of us.
This program is accredited by the Private Training Institutions Agency (PCTIA), designated under the British Columbia Education Quality Assurance (BCEQA), the Ministry of Advanced Education and listed under the Canadian Information Center for International Credentials (CICIC).
What accreditation means?
Accreditation is meant to protect students, schools, and employers. It ensures that a school is educating its students and meeting quality standards. If you choose a school that isn’t accredited, it may be difficult to use your academic credentials. Few employers will take your education seriously. Additionally, you may not be able to transfer your credit hours or degree to an accredited school.
If you are learning for personal enjoyment, accreditation may not be important to you. However, if you want to use your academic credential in the workplace or plan on furthering your education at a later date, accreditation is essential.
- Award Winning Proprietary Online Campus
- Studio Setting (20% Theory, 80% Practice)
- Weekly Live Sessions (Synchronous)
- Access 24/7 to Online Campus (Asynchronous 24 hrs, 7 days a week)
- 15:1 Student Ratio
- 1:1 Personalized Critiques
Class Times, Assignments & Workload
- Classes are delivered Online
- Weekly Live Classes scheduled on your time preferences provided in your application
- Weekly Assignments (Four assignments total)
- Assignments Workload: 10 - 20 hours per week
- Weekly 1 on 1 personalized critiques (4 critiques total)
- Total hours of instruction: 7 hours
- Total hours of assignments: 40 - 80 hours
- Week 1: The Art of Conceptualizing - What is Concept Art?
- Week 2: Basics of Character Design
- Week 3: Beyond Reality: Animals and Creatures
- Week 4: Worlds from your imagination: Environment and background Design
Please note that in order to pass the course, all assignments have to be successfully completed and submitted on time. Students intending to transfer to diploma programs must obtain a minimum grade of B- (76%).
Who should attend this class?
Beginners, Aspiring Concept Artists, people that like to draw, that like to create and have a wild imagination. Fans of animated movies, video games, Comics and TV.
None. Pencil and paper will work. A computer painting software could be used. You can download GIMP for free.
At the end of this program the student will have a basic understanding of concept art. Students will have gone through the process of creating a cast of characters and the world they live in, all in their own personal art style.
Credits of this course can be used towards our Diploma Programs within six months of completion.
A Vancouver Animation School Certificate is a short term duration but specialized training program. We are a studio school (20% theory 80% hands on). Students will graduate with a Certificate credential.