The Job Development and Business for Artists online certificate course has been designed for artists who are ready to look for job opportunities in the Animation, Visual Effects and Video Game industries.
Type: Online Certificate
Welcome to the exciting stage of entering the workforce. Artists are a necessary asset to a studio. A good portfolio/demo reel will get you an interview however it will not guarantee you the job. Studio recruiters need to know that artists applying to their studios have an understanding of the application process; including cover letters, resumes, demo reel presentation and breakdowns. Getting the job will depend on how you conduct yourself during the interview. In this Job Development and Business for Artists online course you will learn the proper presentation skills and the business etiquette needed to succeed in the Animation and Visual Effects studios.
- Award Winning Proprietary Online Campus
- Studio Setting (20% Theory, 80% Practice)
- Weekly Live Sessions (Synchronous)
- Access 24/7 to Online Campus (Asynchronous 24 hrs, 7 days a week)
- 15:1 Student Ratio
Class Times, Assignments & Workload
- Classes are delivered Online
- Weekly Live Classes on Saturdays 9:30am Pacific Time (1 hour sessions)
- Weekly Assignments (Four assignments total)
- Assignments Workload: 15 - 25 hours per week
- Total hours of assignments: 60 - 100 hours
- Week 1: Portfolio / Demo reel review and presentation (Artists must be postsecondary graduates with a completed portfolio / demo reel and be ready enter the work force)
- Week 2: Resumes and Cover Letters. Chronological, Editing, Formatting and Critiquing
- Week 3: The hidden job market: Researching Jobs and Industry, Contacting studios, Networking.
- Week 4: Interviewing preparation, best practices, Do's and Dont's, salary expectations, contract clauses and negotiations.
Please note that in order to pass the course, all assignments have to be successfully completed and submitted on time.
Who should attend this class?
- Artists must be postsecondary graduates with a completed portfolio / demo reel and be ready enter the work force
- Artists struggling to find a job
- Artists looking to improve their interviewing skills
- Recent Graduates from an art related course in the Animation, Visual Effects and Video Game industries
- Artists looking to expand their understanding of studio's business etiquette
- Word processing (open-office) for resume and cover letters
- Photoshop for Portfolios (i.e. Concept Artists)
- Video Editing software for Demo Reels (i.e. Animators)
- Computer (Desktop / Laptop)
- High Speed Internet
- Internet browser
- Flash player (free)
At the end of this course the student will have an understanding of how to research job opportunities and conduct proper business etiquette in accordance to studio recruiters requirements. Students will have gone through the process of re-formatting their existing portfolio / demo reel, and preparing their cover letter and resumes. In addition, students will understand interviewing best practices and techniques exclusive to the Animation, Visual Effects and Video Game industries. This course does not guarantee employment.
Credits of this course can be used towards our Diploma Programs within six months of completion.
A Vancouver Animation School Certificate is a short term duration but specialized training program. We are a studio school (20% theory 80% hands on). Students will graduate with a Certificate credential.